After finally rolling out Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update for users of its Zenfone 5 smartphones, Asus has now apparently set sights on rolling out the newer Android 5.1 version to the more recent Zenfone 2 handset series.
According to a post in the official Asus Zentalk forum, the Zenfone 2 handset variant bearing model number ZE550ML is in line to receive Android 5.1 before other smartphones.
As per an online chat between a Zenfone 2 customer and an Asus representative, quoted on the Zentalk blog, the Taiwan company has confirmed that testing of Android 5.1 (for Zenfone 2 ZE550ML) is in the final stages, suggesting an early release of the OS update.
Android 5.1 update for Asus Zenfone 2 is coming now
However, the Asus representative did not mention an exact release date for the Android 5.1 firmware upgrade.
Nonetheless, with the release of Android 5.1 confirmed for Zenfone 2 ZE550ML devices, owners of the smartphone can check their handsets regularly for newer over-the-air (OTA) notifications for Google’s comparatively newer version of Lollipop.
Asus’ Zenfone 2, touted as a flagship smartphone, currently runs Android 5.0 out of the box. With Android 5.1 set to hit the handset shortly, users can heave a sigh of relief after Asus considerably delayed rolling out Android 5.0 to earlier Zenfone 4, Zenfone 5 and Zenfone 6 smartphones that ran the legacy Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) OS until recently.
Newer enhancements offered by Android 5.1
Google’s Android 5.1 (Lollipop) OS update, is basically a bug fixing firmware that offers patches to multiple inherent issues within the older Android 5 that threaten to disrupt normal functioning of smartphones.
Inherent issues fixed by Android 5.1 on Zenphone 2
- Clock in the status bar isn’t updating and alarms are not going off
- Can’t delete SMS messages when the SIM card is full
- No ringer audio while making an outgoing call
- Calculator floating point calculations
- Chrome crashes on launch
- Frequent restarts while watching Netflix
- Wi-Fi will not automatically reconnect to your home Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi not connecting after being idle all night
- Wi-Fi connection issues with multiple routers in one location
- Bluetooth discovery is not triggered when you refresh settings
- CPU wakelocks that contribute to heavier battery drain
- Connection and synchronisation issues with MS Exchange servers
- Incorrect default APN
- Can’t unlock the SIM with a PIN/PUK code
- Can’t play ‘pinned’ content
- General stability improvements
Apart from bug fixes, certain new features are also brought along by Android 5.1:
- Device Protection: Lost or stolen devices will remain locked until you sign in with your Google account, even if reset to factory settings.
- Heads-up notifications: In addition to dismissing a heads-up notification, you can now swipe it up to remove it from your screen. It will remain in your notifications tray and you can dismiss it later.
View more Zenfone 2
Key technical specifications of Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML
Zenfone 2 ZE550ML is an entry-level smartphone, priced at £140 in the UK, $242 in the US and Rs 13,000 in India; featuring the following key hardware aspects:
- 5.5in IPS capacitive display, enclosed within Gorilla Glass 3, having resolutions of 720×1280
- Android 5.0, with Asus ZenUI on top
- 1.8GHz quad-core Intel Atom Z3560 processor
- 13MP rear camera
- 5MP front camera
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB internal storage
- MicroSD card slot for expansion of internal storage up to 64GB
- 4G LTE, HSPA, Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi and microUSB connectivity
- Fixed 3,000 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery.