Even though many thought a wearable Android device which merely acts as a supplement of the Smartphone will not attract many consumers, market trend suggests otherwise. It has been over a year since ASUS came out with its first wearable Android device and now it has launched its successor, ASUS ZenWatch 2. In the following review we will see if the modified version stays true to its promise and removes the flaws that were present in the first device.
ASUS ZenWatch 2 provides complete control of your Android Smartdevice right on your wrist. No more taking out the mobile every time you have to check or send a message. Getting a call in a crowded bus? You have what you need on your wrist. Navigating you way in an unknown city, checking the weather of any place, finding the nearest cafe or theatre, all can be done using the device you will be wearing. All of these in addition to it being a perfectly elegant and stylish looking watch as well as a pedometer as per your convenience. For the techno geeks, here is a list of the specifications of the device.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 1.2GHz
- Memory: 512MB RAM
- Storage: 4GB eMMC Flash
- Operating System: Android Wear
- Display: 1.63” (WI501Q) / 1.45” (WI502Q) AMOLED,
- 320X320 (WI501Q) / 280X280 (WI502Q),
- 278ppi (WI501Q) / 273ppi (WI502Q) Touch Display
- Cover Lens: 2.5D Curved Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Water Resistance: IP67
- Battery: 400 mAh (WI501Q), 300mAh (WI502Q)
- Audio: Built-in Microphone
- USB: Micro USB on Charging Cradle
- Connectivity: Bluetooth v4.1, WiFi
- Sensor: 6-Axis (A+G) with Sensor-hub
- Dimensions (LXWXH): 49.6X40.7X9.4 ~ 10.9mm (WI501Q) / 45.2X37.2X10.4 ~ 11.8mm (WI502Q)
The specs certainly are promising, and so is the performance. Battery backup is available for more than a day (which will definitely vary as per usage). It has got a number of different faces for the watch. You can actually mix them up and change it as per your choice. Since it is waterproof, you can go on doing your daily work without ever worrying about the device malfunctioning on coming in contact with water.
Let us take a look at the pros and cons of the device in brief.
- Stylish and sleek metal casing design with rubber or leather band
- Changeable lock screen display gives choice of the type of watch interface you wish to keep
- Available in different colours, two different sizes, and different wrist band types
- Ambient display turns on the watch screen when the wrist is moved up, saves battery
- Multi-function power button, placed on the right side, for turning on or switching off display, or entering menu by long pressing power button
- Easy wakeup by tapping screen and sleep by covering screen with palm
- Allows complete control of all important applications in mobile, even remote camera operation
- Sending texts or Google search using voice command
- Works with both Android Smartphone and iPhone
- Cheaper than most similar devices in the market
- Battery backup might not be very good at the beginning, it becomes better after a few charging cycles
- Only pedometer included
How to connect ASUS ZenWatch with Smartphone?
Connecting your ASUS ZenWatch 2 with your Smartphone cannot be any simpler than they have made it. Here is a step by step guide for your help.
Connecting Asus Zenwatch 2 with Iphone 6S
- Step 1: Check out the ZenWatch manager in your apps store and download it in your Smartphone or tablet. For ASUS ZenWatch to work you will have to see if your device’s Android version is 4.3 or higher. This app is also available for iPhone, provided iOS 8.2 or higher is being used in iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, or 6 Plus.
- Step 2: Once the app is installed on your device you will have to turn on the Bluetooth and the device will try to find the watch. Check the displayed models being shown in your device and match it with the model that is on the screen of your watch. Once found, select the watch model and select pairing option.
- Step 3: You will see a key on you watch; enter this in your Smartphone or tablet, and hit confirm. Pairing is done and you will be able to use your watch to control your device. This app also allows the device to control a few features in the watch.
Note: You may connect multiple ZenWatches to one Smartphone or tab, but one ZenWatch can only be connected with a single device.
Once paired, using ASUS ZenWatch 2 for using various mobile functions is pretty easy. You will be able to receive and make calls with the help of this device. However, it does not come with any headphone, hence the microphone and speaker are only means. You will be able to access the contact list of phone using the wearable device and use it to place calls. Alternatively, you may even use voice command after saying “OK Google”.
Receiving calls is also easy. You will get a notification on your watch when call comes and you will simply be able to receive the call using the watch.
The Android Wear OS does not have any on-screen keyboard. However, you will be able to dictate messages to the ZenWatch and send it without touching your phone.
Besides these basic functions, ZenWatch also comes with some special in-built functions. There is a “find my watch” option in the app installed on the device which turns on vibrate alert. In the same way, if your phone gets disconnected with the watch, the watch turns on “Forgot phone” alert which makes the watch vibrate.
ASUS Wellness Monitor can only be used after you have installed the app in your device. This provides pedometer feature which allows you to use your watch like a pedometer. You will also find ASUS Remote Camera app and ASUS Remote Link app. The camera app will allow you to access your device’s camera using the watch and even take pictures. The remote link app is beneficial if you wish to connect other remote linking devices with your watch and use the watch to control a presentation or slide show.
Given the rate and the features, ASUS ZenWatch 2 is the best buy if you wish to have a wearable android device. It is also quite handy if you use the complete capability of the watch. While battery life might be a bit of an issue in the beginning, it becomes quite good after a few charging cycles. My suggestion is, if you want an Android wearable device which has enough features as well as will come within your budget, go for the ASUS ZenWatch 2. It is worth buying. Follow the link to Amazon to order it now.