Are you tired of your cat going out of the house and away on whim?
Has finding your cat for hours become your daily chore?
Now do not worry about your cat’s whereabouts with the smart GPS collars available in the market. They come with varied functionality and make it easier for you to get the exact location of your cat or even ensuring that your cat does not stray away.
Finding the best GPS collar for your cat, though, is a tricky job. Every product comes with a plethora of features and promises. How will you select the best one for your cat? How to know which provides the best value for money?
To make it easier, I have come up with a list of the best GPS cat collars available in the market. Check out the features and decide for yourself. Each one has its pros and cons and will address some specific needs better than the others. Identify that and make an educated choice.
Check out till the end for a special inclusion.
- 1 Best 5 GPS Collars For Cats – Look At A Glance
- 2 Gibi Pet Location GPS Service Unit – Innovative pet tracking device of 2017
- 3 Whistle GPS Pet Tracker – Best cat tracker 2017 for money
- 4 Tagg GPS Pet Tracker – Affordable Pet Tracker – Best Buy
- 5 Tractive GPS Pet Tracker – Customer Favorite Global GPS Tracker
- 6 Pod 2 GPS – Global GPS Pet tracker With Widest Coverage
- 7 Marcopolo Pet Tracking – Best Non-GPS Pet Tracking Device 2017
Best 5 GPS Collars For Cats – Look At A Glance
Why I did not include Petpace or Find My Pet GPS?
Given the amount of marketing done for this product, you might expect to find this on the list as well. Let me tell you, it does everything other than tracking your lost pet. It is a high price product (given such a high monthly subscription plan) that will monitor the health of your pet round the clock. If you are looking to know the location of your cat, Petpace is certainly not what you want.
Find My Pet GPS tracker, on the other hand, is suggested by Amazon quite a lot and I found this to be low priced as well. However, the GPS service is seriously flawed. Whatever carrier the company uses, if the blackout time is not managed, the product will fall into an abyss. The only thing keeping them afloat at present is the clicker that works great.
Gibi Pet Location GPS Service Unit – Innovative pet tracking device of 2017
You can never control what your pet gets into. So, if you are buying a tracking collar device, make sure it is sturdy and can take up almost anything that your pet will throw at it. Gibi pet locator comes in a tough unit that can handle all the activities of your pet, including getting into water, and still function great.
The device is lightweight, and will not bother your cat because of the weight. It works using GPS signal and you can use both computer and mobile device to track down your pet. You can set a safe perimeter for your pet and the device will give you an alert notification if the four legged member of your family decides to wander off. The device will need you to have monthly subscription.
What I did not like?
The tracker is a little too big for the smaller cats. They should consider decreasing the size given the small space cats like to get into.
- GPS tracking
- Waterproof and sturdy material
- Real time location shown on Google Map that can be shared with others
- Monthly subscription required
- Round the clock real time GPS monitoring allows you to know the location of your pet at any point of time.
- Sturdy design and waterproof makes it perfect for active pets.
- Google map sharing with family and friends feature allows you to get more people to locate your pet instantaneously.
- Safe zone setting and alert on leaving safe zone helps you keep a virtual leash on your pet.
- Price of the product should have been made cheaper given the features included, as well as the price for monthly subscription.
- The tracking app has issues with iOS if iPhone 7 and 7s Plus. That should be fixed at earliest.
- Battery life needs to be increased.
Gibi is a fine product with impressive ideas behind it. If everything works perfect then this one is certainly a market winner. However, the product still seems to be in developmental stage and needs some minor modifications. So, you can absolutely buy the product, but get its features checked.
Whistle GPS Pet Tracker – Best cat tracker 2017 for money
Whistle has been around for quite some time now and this is one of the cheapest and best cat tracking devices you will come across in the market. The product is durable and waterproof, thus you need not worry about malfunctioning because of it getting drenched or being used roughly.
Whistle uses GPS to allow you to track your pet anywhere in the US. There is a Whistle Zone feature, basically a safe zone, outside which the device will send you notification of your pet straying away. The device uses cellular network as well to send messages. There is a very low priced monthly subscription for using the product. It even allows you to track multiple pets using one app only. The device gives you information about your cat’s health too.
What I did not like?
I would prefer if they keep the app free from excessive features and social media icons. Let users device what they want and what not. Keep the interface clean.
- Tracking using GPS
- On-demand alert on mobile
- Suitable for pets above 15 lbs weight
- Can fit on collar up to 15” in width
- Needs monthly subscription
- The GPS monitoring system is perfect and will allow you to track multiple pets at a time.
- Waterproof and sturdy design is needed if your pet is highly active.
- Health monitor is an added advantage for most pet owners.
- It works perfectly on both Android and iOS.
- Whistle Zone or safe zone allows you to keep a virtual leash on.
- The app does take some time before registering your pet as gone (out of safe zone) and you cannot track until your pet is gone.
- A crowded app interface makes it difficult to use.
Whistle GPS pet tracker is a great buy and is really affordable. There has been a few complaints about the device taking longer time to notify that the pet has left the safe zone, but customer service is quite good and takes care of technical issues. Overall, it is a great buy.
Tagg GPS Pet Tracker – Affordable Pet Tracker – Best Buy
TAGG, recently bought out by Whistle, continues to provide impressive result when it comes to tracking your lost pet and keeping a virtual leash on. Now the device even comes with a health and activity tracker that lets you check the health of the furry family member anytime and from anywhere.
TAGG uses both GPS and cellular network to help you get notification about your pet and track down. Notifications include both mobile text and emails. The product comes with a monthly subscription which is one of the lowest in the market.
What I did not like?
The new app used for both TAGG and Whistle has really become a mess with too many options. That should be cleared out at the earliest.
- GPS based tracking device
- Activity monitor included
- Both mobile text and email notification for stray pet
- Suitable for pets above 10 lbs
- Monthly subscription needed
- GPS tracking is perfect and allows you to find your lost pet easily.
- Waterproof and encased in a sturdy material prevents it from malfunctioning.
- Health monitor allows you to keep track of your pet’s activity.
- Safe zone setting allows you to keep a virtual leash on your pet.
- Extremely low monthly subscription goes easy on your pocket.
- Slow at times to let you know that your pet left the safe zone.
- The mobile application needs to be made more easy to use. Not everyone wants to update everything on social media.
TAGG has been a great product for long and is a great investment even now. The small issues arising after Whistle took over are being sorted on complaint registration. Thus, it is still a great buy.
Tractive GPS Pet Tracker – Customer Favorite Global GPS Tracker
If you are one of those who take the cat out with you on trips, you will most likely want to have a tracking device that will work fine in other countries as well. The Tractive GPS tracker is the product for you in that case. It works great in US as well as other countries. Currently it covers 80 different countries.
What I did not like?
It will require 2G connectivity. So, if the 2G coverage in your area is shut down by the carrier (which is T-Mobile at present) then the device will not track. A better solution is preferred.
- GPS based device with integrated SIM
- Waterproof and lightweight
- Real-time positioning and tracking using mobile device
- Subscription needed
- The monthly subscription is extremely low for the product and will not be a worry for you, nor will burn a hole in your pocket.
- The GPS tracking works in real-time and is accurate.
- The device is very lightweight and waterproof.
- Coverage is in 80 countries.
- You will have to check the 2G coverage in your area. Without that your device will not work.
Tractive is an active tracker that will work great in multiple countries. It also has a very low subscription cost. So, if you travel a lot with your pet, this should be a great buy for your pet’s safety.
Pod 2 GPS – Global GPS Pet tracker With Widest Coverage
Pod 2.0 allows you to track the life of your pet in up to 175 countries and round the clock. You can track your pet even across countries. Thus it is perfect if you have to leave the pet while on a trip and yet wish to know if your little family member is safe. The tracker keeps record of 8 hours of activity. This one can easily double up as tracking device as well as activity monitor.
The subscription charge is annually and extremely low. It is one of the best devices that you can buy within a low budget.
What I did not like?
You will have to make sure you are on a network that is still providing 2G service. It is said that the 3G support device is still under development.
- Real-time tracking using GPS and WiFi
- Water resistant IPX7
- Activity monitor with 8 hours activity recording
- Safe zone creation with alert
- Alert for leaving safe zone helps you remain relaxed and know that your pet is safe unless shown otherwise.
- Activity monitor allows you to know your pet’s activity any time. 8 hours of activity tracking and recording available too.
- It can be used in 175 countries and tracking across countries is possible.
- Extremely lightweight and water resistant.
- Better tracking using GPS and WiFi.
- Extremely low annual subscription.
- It uses 2G network, so unless there is 2G network your device will not work. 3G device is under development.
If you want a great device that is very small and works across a large number of countries and also does not have a high subscription, Pod 2 is the device for you.
Marcopolo Pet Tracking – Best Non-GPS Pet Tracking Device 2017
Who likes paying monthly subscription if you can do away without it? Well, no one does. Thus Macopolo is a genuinely great product. Even with the comparatively high price, you are saving all the dollars you will spend otherwise on subscription.
This one is a self-sufficient device that allows you to track your pet without GPS or cellular signal thus it will work fine in any country or in any location. The handheld tracking device can monitor 3 tags simultaneously. It can also be used to set up maximum of 4 safe zone radiuses of minimum 50 feet for each tag. You get notification that your pet has wandered off within 80 seconds of leaving the safe zone. Once your tracking device is in range of a tag you can get directions to the tag.
What I did not like?
While the target was to build a free to use device, the manufacturer probably took the liberty to overlook the fact that the device will have to be within range of the tag to be able to track. That ca be a problem at times.
- Self-sufficient tracking without GPS or cellular network
- No subscription needed
- Can be used for pets 10 lbs and above
- 90 days battery while tracking
- Tracking 3 tags per tracker
- Each tag can have 4 safe zone of minimum 50 feet radius
- No subscription is needed and this makes it extremely cheap option even with a higher price tag.
- Great battery life allows you better peace of mind.
- Easy to use tracking system that works perfectly.
- The tracker is able to track 3 tags simultaneously.
- No use of GPS means you will have to start searching blindly ill your tracking device is in range of your tag.
MARCOPOLO is a highly preferred device across the world. It can work anywhere and at any time. It is self-sufficient and you safe all the dollars of subscription. With an alert time of 80n seconds there is little chance that your pet will move away from the device too much such that you have to start the search blindly.
The best 5 GPS cat tracking devices register some of the best products available in the market at the lowest price. The links will take you directly to the right product. Check out the features and decide for yourself. Use the links to find the right product on Amazon.